Troubleshooting Guide: HP ENVY 4520 Printer Not Printing
Is your HP ENVY 4520 printer refusing to print? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Many printer users encounter the frustrating issue of their HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing. In this comprehensive troubleshooting guide, we will explore the common causes behind this problem and provide you with step-by-step solutions to get your printer up and running again.
Addressing the issue promptly is crucial, as a non-functioning printer can disrupt your workflow and hinder productivity. By following the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article, you can save time and avoid unnecessary expenses of seeking professional help.
In the following sections, we will delve into the possible causes of the HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing issue and provide detailed instructions to help you resolve it. From basic troubleshooting steps to more advanced techniques, we’ve got you covered. So let’s get started and bring your printer back to life!
Understanding the HP ENVY 4520 Printer Not Printing
Before we jump into the troubleshooting process, it’s essential to understand the potential causes behind your HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing. By identifying the root cause, you can streamline the troubleshooting process and find an effective solution more quickly.
There are several factors that can contribute to HP ENVY 4520 Printer Not Printing issue. Some common causes include:
- Insufficient ink or toner levels: Low or empty ink cartridges can prevent your printer from producing quality prints.
- Paper jams or misfeeds: Paper jams or misaligned paper can obstruct the printing process and cause your printer to stop working.
- Connectivity issues: Problems with network connectivity or USB connections can disrupt communication between your printer and computer.
- Outdated or incompatible printer drivers: Outdated or incompatible printer drivers can lead to printing issues and need to be updated.
- Software conflicts: Conflicts with other software programs or settings on your computer can interfere with the printing function of your HP ENVY 4520 printer.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps HP ENVY 4520 Printer Not Printing
When faced with the issue of an HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing, it’s important to start with basic troubleshooting steps. These initial actions can often resolve the problem quickly. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot your printer:
- Check ink or toner levels
Ensure that your printer has sufficient ink or toner to perform the printing task. Replace any low or empty cartridges accordingly.
- Verify paper placement and remove jams
Make sure that the paper is correctly loaded in the paper tray and aligns properly with the guides. If there are any paper jams, carefully remove the jammed paper, following the printer’s manual or instructions.
- Restart the printer and computer
Power off your printer, unplug it from the power source, and wait for a few minutes. Additionally, restart your computer. This can refresh the system and resolve temporary glitches.
- Ensure proper power and cable connections
Check that the power cable is securely connected to both the printer and the power source. If you’re using a USB connection, ensure that the cable is properly connected to both the printer and the computer.
- Update HP ENVY 4520 printer drivers
Outdated or incompatible printer drivers can cause printing issues. Visit the official HP website or use their software to check for driver updates. Download and install the latest drivers for your HP ENVY 4520 printer.
- Resolve HP ENVY 4520 Software conflicts
Conflicts with other software programs or settings can interfere with your printer’s functionality. Temporarily disable or uninstall any recently installed programs that may be causing conflicts. Adjust your firewall and antivirus settings to allow communication with the printer.
By following these basic troubleshooting steps, you can often resolve the issue of an HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing. If the problem persists, don’t worry.
Deep Dive into Ink and Toner Issues
One of the common causes of the HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing problem is related to ink and toner issues. Insufficient ink levels or clogged print heads can hinder the printing process. In this section, we will explore these issues in more detail and provide solutions to address them effectively.
Low or Empty HP ENVY 4520 Ink Cartridges
When your HP ENVY 4520 ink cartridges are running low or empty, printing may not be possible. Here’s what you can do:
- Check ink levels: Most printers have an ink level indicator. Use the printer’s control panel or accompanying software to check the ink levels. Replace any cartridges that are low or empty.
- Replace cartridges: Purchase genuine replacement cartridges compatible with your HP ENVY 4520 printer model. Follow the printer’s manual or instructions to properly install the new cartridges.
Print Head Clogs and Cleaning
Over time, print heads can become clogged with dried ink, resulting in poor print quality or no printing at all. Follow these steps to clean the print heads:
- Access printer maintenance settings: Use your printer’s control panel or software to access the maintenance settings or toolbox.
- Initiate print head cleaning: Look for options like “Clean Print Heads” or “Print Head Maintenance.” Follow the on-screen instructions to initiate the cleaning process. This may take a few minutes.
- Print a test page: Once the cleaning process is complete, print a test page to check if the print quality has improved. If not, you may need to repeat the cleaning process or consider manual cleaning methods.
Cartridge Alignment and Calibration
Misaligned or improperly calibrated cartridges can also lead to printing issues. To address this:
- Access printer settings: Use your printer’s control panel or software to access the settings or toolbox.
- Initiate cartridge alignment: Look for options like “Align Cartridges” or “Cartridge Alignment.” Follow the on-screen instructions to initiate the alignment process. This usually involves printing a test page and scanning it to calibrate the cartridges.
- Perform regular calibration: Periodically perform cartridge alignment to ensure optimal print quality. This can be done through the printer settings or software.
Choosing the Right Type of HP ENVY 4520 Paper
Using the wrong type of paper can result in printing problems. Ensure that you are using the appropriate paper for your printer. Refer to the printer’s manual or instructions for the recommended paper type and size.
Understanding Print Quality Settings
Adjusting the print quality settings can also impact printing results. Experiment with different print quality options, such as draft, normal, or best, to find the setting that provides the desired output without compromising speed or ink usage.
By addressing ink and toner issues, you can often resolve the HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing problem. If the issue persists or if you encounter further challenges, continue reading as we explore additional troubleshooting steps in the following sections.
Resolving HP ENVY 4520 Paper Jams and Misfeeds
Paper jams and misfeeds can be a common cause of the HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing problem. When paper gets stuck or doesn’t feed properly, it can disrupt the printing process. In this section, we will provide you with detailed instructions on how to resolve paper jams and misfeeds effectively.
Locating and Removing Paper Jams
If your printer has a paper jam, follow these steps to locate and remove the jammed paper:
- Power off the printer: Turn off your HP ENVY 4520 printer using the power button.
- Open the printer access door: Carefully open the printer’s access door, which provides access to the paper path. Refer to the printer’s manual or instructions for the specific location of the access door.
- Identify the jammed paper: Inspect the paper path for any visible jammed paper. Look for crumpled or partially fed sheets that may be causing the jam.
- Gently remove the jammed paper: Slowly and carefully remove the jammed paper by pulling it in the direction of the paper path. Be cautious not to tear the paper, as any remnants left inside the printer may cause further jams.
- Close the printer access door: Once you have removed the jammed paper, securely close the printer’s access door.
Clearing Paper Path Obstructions
Sometimes, objects or debris can obstruct the paper path, leading to misfeeds or paper jams. Follow these steps to clear any obstructions:
- Power off the printer: Turn off your HP ENVY 4520 printer using the power button.
- Open the printer access door: Similar to addressing paper jams, open the printer’s access door to gain access to the paper path.
- Inspect for obstructions: Carefully examine the paper path for any foreign objects or debris that may be blocking the path. Use a flashlight if necessary to see clearly.
- Remove obstructions: If you find any obstructions, gently remove them using your hands, tweezers, or compressed air. Take care not to damage any internal components.
- Close the printer access door: Once you have cleared the paper path obstructions, securely close the printer’s access door.
Preventing Future Paper Feed Issues
To minimize the occurrence of paper jams and misfeeds in the future, consider these preventive measures:
- Use the right paper type: Ensure that you are using the correct type and size of paper recommended for your HP ENVY 4520 printer. Using improper paper can lead to feeding problems.
- Avoid overloading the paper tray: Do not exceed the maximum paper capacity of the tray. Overloading can cause misfeeds and jams. Adjust the paper guides in the tray to snugly fit the paper stack.
- Keep the paper clean and dry: Store your paper in a cool, dry place and protect it from moisture. Dust, dirt, or humidity can contribute to paper feed issues.
By following these steps and taking preventive measures, you can effectively resolve paper jams and misfeeds with your HP ENVY 4520 printer. If the issue persists or if you encounter further challenges, don’t worry.
Fixing HP ENVY 4520 Connectivity Problems
Connectivity issues can often be the culprit behind an HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing. Problems with network connections or USB connectivity can disrupt communication between your printer and computer, resulting in printing issues. In this section, we will guide you through troubleshooting steps to fix connectivity problems effectively.
Checking Network Connections
If you are using your HP ENVY 4520 printer over a network connection, follow these steps to check the network connectivity:
- Verify network connection: Ensure that your printer is connected to the same network as your computer. Check the Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection on your printer to confirm its connectivity.
- Restart the router: Power off your router, wait for a few seconds, and then power it back on. This can resolve temporary network issues.
- Reconnect the printer to the network: On your printer’s control panel, navigate to the network settings and select the option to reconnect to your Wi-Fi network. Follow the prompts to enter the network credentials if required.
- Restart the printer and computer: Turn off your printer and computer, then power them back on. This can refresh the network connections.
Configuring HP ENVY 4520 Wireless Settings
If you are using a wireless connection for your HP ENVY 4520 printer, ensure that the wireless settings are properly configured. Follow these steps to troubleshoot wireless connectivity issues:
- Verify wireless signal strength: Ensure that your printer is within range of your Wi-Fi router. Weak signal strength can cause connection problems. Consider moving the printer closer to the router if needed.
- Restart the printer and router: Power off your printer and router, wait for a few seconds, and then power them back on. This can resolve temporary connectivity issues.
- Reset network settings: If the previous steps didn’t resolve the issue, you can try resetting the printer’s network settings. Consult the printer’s manual or instructions to perform a network reset.
- Reconnect the printer to Wi-Fi: After resetting the network settings, go through the printer’s Wi-Fi setup process again to reconnect it to your network. Follow the prompts on the printer’s control panel or software.
Troubleshooting USB Connection Problems
If you are using a USB connection between your HP ENVY 4520 printer and computer, follow these steps to troubleshoot USB connectivity issues:
- Check the USB cable: Ensure that the USB cable is securely connected to both the printer and your computer. Try using a different USB cable to rule out any cable-related problems.
- Test the USB port: Connect another USB device to the same port on your computer to ensure that the port is functioning correctly. If the port is faulty, try connecting the printer to a different USB port.
- Update USB drivers: Ensure that the USB drivers on your computer are up to date. Visit the manufacturer’s website or use a driver update tool to check for the latest USB drivers for your computer.
Resolving HP ENVY 4520 Printer Offline Status
Sometimes, your HP ENVY 4520 printer may show an “offline” status, even when it is properly connected. Follow these steps to bring the printer back online:
- Check printer status: On your computer, go to the “Printers” or “Devices and Printers” section in the Control Panel. Verify that your HP ENVY 4520 printer is set as the default printer and not in an offline state.
- Restart the printer and computer: Power off both the printer and computer, then power them back on. This can refresh the system and restore the printer’s online status.
- Check network or USB connections: Ensure that the network or USB connections are properly established as mentioned in the previous sections.
By following these troubleshooting steps, you can resolve common connectivity problems and get your HP ENVY 4520 printer back to printing smoothly. If the issue persists or if you encounter further challenges, continue reading as we explore additional troubleshooting steps in the following sections.
Updating and Reinstalling HP ENVY 4520 Printer Drivers
Outdated or incompatible printer drivers can often cause printing issues with the HP ENVY 4520 printer. It’s crucial to keep your printer drivers up to date to ensure optimal performance. In this section, we will guide you through the process of updating and reinstalling printer drivers to resolve printing problems.
Checking for Driver Updates
To update your printer drivers, follow these steps:
- Visit the official HP website: Go to the official website of HP (https://support.hp.com/) and navigate to the “Support” or “Drivers” section.
- Enter your printer model: Enter “HP ENVY 4520” as your printer model and search for the drivers.
- Select the correct operating system: Choose the operating system of your computer from the provided options.
- Download the latest drivers: Locate the latest printer drivers compatible with your operating system and click on the download link to save the driver installation file to your computer.
Installing the Updated Drivers
Once you have downloaded the updated printer drivers, follow these steps to install them:
- Locate the downloaded driver file: Navigate to the location on your computer where the driver installation file was saved.
- Run the driver installation file: Double-click on the driver file to initiate the installation process. Follow the on-screen prompts to proceed with the installation.
- Accept the license agreement: Read the license agreement, and if you agree with the terms, select the checkbox to accept the agreement.
- Follow the installation wizard: The installation wizard will guide you through the installation process. Make sure to select the appropriate installation options and preferences as required.
- Complete the installation: Once the installation is complete, restart your computer to finalize the driver update.
Reinstalling HP ENVY 4520 Printer Drivers
If updating the printer drivers did not resolve the printing issue, you can try reinstalling the drivers using the following steps:
- Uninstall the existing printer drivers: Go to the “Control Panel” on your computer and navigate to the “Printers” or “Devices and Printers” section. Right-click on your HP ENVY 4520 printer and select “Uninstall” or “Remove Device.” Follow the prompts to uninstall the printer drivers.
- Disconnect the printer: Disconnect the USB cable or turn off the printer’s wireless connectivity.
- Restart your computer: Power off your computer and restart it to ensure a clean start.
- Reinstall the printer drivers: Follow the previous steps to download the latest printer drivers from the official HP website. Once downloaded, run the driver installation file and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the drivers.
- Reconnect the printer: Connect the USB cable or turn on the printer’s wireless connectivity to establish a connection with your computer.
By updating or reinstalling the printer drivers, you can often resolve printing issues with your HP ENVY 4520 printer. If the problem persists or if you encounter further challenges, continue reading as we explore additional troubleshooting steps in the following sections.
Addressing HP ENVY 4520 Software Conflicts
Software conflicts can sometimes interfere with the proper functioning of your HP ENVY 4520 printer, resulting in printing issues. Conflicting software programs, firewall settings, or antivirus programs can disrupt the communication between your computer and printer. In this section, we will discuss how to address software conflicts to resolve printing problems effectively.
Disabling Conflicting Software
If you suspect that a specific software program is causing conflicts with your printer, follow these steps to disable it temporarily:
- Identify potential conflicting software
Review the software programs installed on your computer and identify any that may interfere with the printer’s operation. This can include firewall programs, antivirus software, or other printer-related utilities.
- Disable conflicting software
Access the settings or preferences of the identified software program and temporarily disable it. Refer to the software’s documentation or contact the software provider for instructions on how to disable it.
- Test printer functionality
After disabling the conflicting software, attempt to print a document to see if the printing issue has been resolved. If the problem is resolved, it confirms that the disabled software was causing the conflict.
- Re-enable software
Once you have confirmed the software conflict, you can choose to either update the conflicting software to a compatible version or contact the software provider for further assistance. Alternatively, you can consider using alternative software that does not conflict with your printer.
Adjusting Firewall Settings
Firewall settings on your computer may sometimes block the necessary communication between your printer and computer. Follow these steps to adjust your firewall settings:
- Access firewall settings: Go to the “Control Panel” on your computer and navigate to the “System and Security” or “Windows Security” section. Look for the firewall settings or Windows Defender Firewall.
- Allow printer communication: Within the firewall settings, locate the option to add or allow programs through the firewall. Add your HP ENVY 4520 printer software or the specific printer-related processes to the list of allowed programs. This will ensure that the firewall does not block the printer’s communication.
- Save and apply changes: Once you have added the necessary programs to the allowed list, save and apply the changes to your firewall settings.
- Test printer functionality: Try printing a document to check if the issue has been resolved. If not, proceed to the next step.
Temporarily Disabling Antivirus Programs
Antivirus programs can sometimes interfere with the printer’s operation. Temporarily disabling your antivirus program can help identify if it is causing the conflict. Follow these general steps to disable your antivirus program:
- Locate the antivirus program
Identify the antivirus program running on your computer. It is typically represented by an icon in the system tray or can be found in the taskbar.
- Access program settings
Right-click on the antivirus program’s icon and look for options such as “Disable,” “Pause,” or “Turn Off.” Click on the appropriate option to disable the antivirus program temporarily.
- Temporarily disable real-time protection
In some antivirus programs, you may need to specifically disable real-time protection or scanning features that can interfere with the printer’s communication.
- Print a test document
Attempt to print a document to check if the printing issue has been resolved with the antivirus program temporarily disabled. If the problem is resolved, it suggests that the antivirus program was causing the conflict.
- Re-enable antivirus program
After testing, remember to re-enable your antivirus program to ensure the ongoing protection of your computer. Consult the antivirus program’s documentation or contact the software provider for instructions on how to enable the program again.
By addressing software conflicts, you can often resolve printing problems with your HP ENVY 4520 printer.
Additional Troubleshooting Tips HP ENVY 4520 Printer Not Printing
If you have followed the previous troubleshooting steps and are still experiencing issues with your HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing, try the following additional troubleshooting tips to help resolve the problem:
Restart Printer Spooler Service
The Printer Spooler Service manages print jobs in the print queue. Restarting this service can resolve issues related to print queue errors. Follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type services.msc and press Enter to open the Services window.
- Scroll down and locate the Print Spooler service.
- Right-click on the Print Spooler service and select Restart from the context menu.
Wait for the service to restart and then try printing again.
Perform a Printer Reset
Resetting your HP ENVY 4520 printer can help resolve various software-related issues. Follow these steps to perform a reset:
- Ensure that your printer is powered on.
- Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer while it is still turned on.
- Unplug the power cord from the power source or wall outlet.
- Wait for at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the power source and reconnect it to the printer.
- Press the power button to turn on the printer if it doesn’t power on automatically.
- Try printing a document to check if the issue has been resolved.
Check for Firmware Updates
Firmware updates can address known issues and improve the performance of your printer. Follow these steps to check for firmware updates:
- Visit the official HP support website (https://support.hp.com/) and navigate to the “Support” or “Drivers” section.
- Enter your HP ENVY 4520 printer model and search for firmware updates.
- Download the latest firmware update available for your printer model and operating system.
- Follow the instructions provided by HP to install the firmware update on your printer.
- After the firmware update is complete, restart your printer and try printing again.
Contact HP Support
If you have exhausted all the troubleshooting steps and the issue still persists, it may be necessary to contact HP support for further assistance. Visit the official HP website and navigate to the support section to find the appropriate contact information for your region. Explain the issue to the support representative and provide any relevant details to help them assist you effectively.
By applying these additional troubleshooting tips, you can increase the chances of resolving the printing issues with your HP ENVY 4520 printer. Remember to test the printer after each step to check if the problem has been resolved.
In conclusion, dealing with an HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing can be a frustrating experience. However, by following the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article, you can effectively address the most common issues and get your printer back to its optimal functioning.
We started by providing an overview of the common issue of the HP ENVY 4520 printer not printing and emphasized the importance of addressing the problem promptly. We then explored various troubleshooting steps to tackle the issue comprehensively.
We covered basic troubleshooting steps to check printer settings, connections, and power supply. We delved into ink and toner issues, providing solutions for low ink levels, clogged printheads, and incompatible cartridges. We addressed paper jams and misfeeds by guiding you through the process of clearing paper jams and ensuring proper paper alignment.
Connectivity problems were discussed in detail, including troubleshooting network connections, wireless settings, USB connectivity, and resolving printer offline status. We emphasized the significance of updating and reinstalling printer drivers to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
Additionally, we provided guidance on addressing software conflicts, including disabling conflicting software, adjusting firewall settings, and temporarily disabling antivirus programs. We concluded with additional troubleshooting tips, such as restarting the printer spooler service, performing a printer reset, checking for firmware updates, and contacting HP support if necessary.
By following these steps and tips, you can overcome common issues and enjoy smooth printing with your HP ENVY 4520 printer.
Remember, if the problem persists or if you encounter more complex issues, it is recommended to seek assistance from HP support or a professional technician who can provide specialized guidance tailored to your specific situation.
Keep your printer in good condition by regularly maintaining it and staying updated with the latest software and firmware releases. With proper care and troubleshooting, you can ensure reliable and high-quality printing with your HP ENVY 4520 printer.
About the Author
Carl Abel is a printer troubleshooting expert with years of experience in the field. As a dedicated professional, Carl has helped numerous individuals and businesses resolve their printer-related issues efficiently.
With a deep understanding of various printer models and their intricacies, Carl specializes in troubleshooting HP ENVY 4520 printers. His extensive knowledge of printer hardware, software, and connectivity enables him to provide comprehensive solutions to common printing problems.
Carl is passionate about assisting individuals in maximizing their printer’s performance and achieving optimal print quality. He stays updated with the latest advancements in printer technology and troubleshooting techniques to ensure that his recommendations are up-to-date and effective.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about troubleshooting the HP ENVY 4520 printer:
How do I check ink or toner levels on my HP ENVY 4520 printer?
To check the ink or toner levels on your HP ENVY 4520 printer, follow these steps:
- Open the printer software on your computer.
- Look for an option called “Printer Toolbox” or “Estimated Ink Levels.”
- Click on that option to view the ink or toner levels on your printer.
- Alternatively, you can check the ink or toner levels directly on the printer’s control
- panel by navigating to the “Ink” or “Toner” section.
What should I do if my printer keeps jamming paper?
If your HP ENVY 4520 printer keeps jamming paper, try the following steps:
- Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source.
- Gently remove any jammed paper from the input and output trays.
- Check for any torn pieces of paper or foreign objects and remove them.
- Ensure that the paper is loaded correctly in the input tray, aligned properly, and not exceeding the maximum paper capacity.
- Clean the paper feed rollers with a lint-free cloth dampened with water.
- Plug in the printer and turn it on.
- Retry printing to see if the issue has been resolved.
How do I connect my HP ENVY 4520 printer to Wi-Fi?
To connect your HP ENVY 4520 printer to Wi-Fi, follow these steps:
- Make sure your printer is turned on and within range of your Wi-Fi network.
- Press the “Wireless” or “Setup” button on the printer’s control panel.
- Navigate to the “Network” or “Wireless Setup” menu using the arrow buttons.
- Select the option to “Wireless Setup Wizard” or “Wi-Fi Setup” and press “OK.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to select your Wi-Fi network and enter the network password, if required.
- Once connected, your printer should display a confirmation message.
- Test the connection by printing a wireless network report or any document wirelessly.
How can I update the printer drivers on my computer?
To update the printer drivers on your computer for the HP ENVY 4520 printer, follow these steps:
- Visit the official HP website (https://support.hp.com/) and go to the “Support” or “Drivers” section.
- Enter your HP ENVY 4520 printer model and search for driver updates.
- Select the correct operating system of your computer.
- Download the latest printer drivers available for your operating system.
- Locate the downloaded driver file and run the installation program.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver installation.
- Restart your computer to ensure the driver updates take effect.
When should I contact HP support for help with my printer?
You should consider contacting HP support for help with your printer in the following situations:
- If you have followed all the troubleshooting steps and the issue persists.
- If you encounter complex technical issues that require specialized assistance.
- If your printer is under warranty and you need to explore warranty-related solutions.
- If you require guidance on advanced printer settings or features.
- If you need help with printer software installation, setup, or configuration.
- Contact HP support through their official website or refer to the documentation that came with your printer for the appropriate contact information.
- I am a printing expert with years of experience in various printing techniques. My expertise includes offset printing, digital printing, and screen printing. I am known for my attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and commitment to delivering outstanding results. I am dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest developments in printing technology to provide cutting-edge solutions. I am passionate about collaborating with clients to transform their ideas into stunning prints. Read more about us